The JHRS State of the Community Report 2010

• 04 Jan 2010 18:01
    Message # 263319
    Jun (Administrator)

Dear JHRS Members, Partners, Advertisers, Friends and Supporters,

JHRS State of the Community Report 2010 Cover Page.jpgAs JHRS Chief Community Officer, it is my honor and pride to share with you this Report which not only contains our community’s summary of successes borne out of our collective efforts and resources but more importantly, a peek into what lies ahead for JHRS in 2010.

In last year’s JHRL State of the Community Report, I predicted that 2009 will be a “defining year” for JHRS given the backdrop of a global economic crisis. I have also written that although achieving our goals and programs will be more challenging for us, 2009 shall put a real test to the maturity, professionalism, and sincerity of our members.

Well, I was both right and wrong! I was “right” in the sense that 2009 did become a defining year for our Community. For example, in 2009 we officially changed our name from The Japan HR Link Network to The Japan HR Society; we also made various changes in the membership guidelines and introduced different levels of memberships; and we successfully migrated the JHRS website to a more robust, flexible, and secured web platform.

On the other hand, I was “wrong” because 2009 did not only become a “defining” year for us but unexpectedly, a “growth” year as well for JHRS as evidenced by the various innovative products and services we have developed for our members as well as the partnerships we have formed to help us achieve our mission. I further invite you to take note of our “hits” or successes we had in 2009 as a Community to prove this point.

Nevertheless, we did have some “misses” along the way which serve as a simple reminder that there is still much work to do and that we can’t rest on our laurels or past achievements and be complacent about achieving our mission and vision.

However, the most important part of this Report is knowing what lies ahead for JHRS in 2010 and beyond. I have presented herein some of the current thinking and plans we have but they are by no means etched in stones. As JHRS has been designed to be driven by its members, we remain open to suggestions from our community members like you as to what we ought to do, where we ought to go, and how shall we go about accomplishing our goals and mission.

Our “Hits” and Successes

Name changed and re-branding from The Japan HR Link Network (JHRL) to The Japan HR Society (JHRS) [Apr 2009];

Introduced a multi-level JHRS membership levels (i.e., associate or free and paid-membershipsundefinedvirtual & premium) [Apr 2009];

Migrated JHRS website to a more robust, flexible, and secured web platform [Apr 2009];

Converted JHRS’ newsletter, The HR Agenda, into an on-line edition with 24/7 access [Apr 2009] and increased its subscriber base from around 1,000 in 2008 to 1,900+ as of end of 2009;

Hosted and/or sponsored the following events:

Ø        Networking Event: 1

Ø        Luncheon seminars: 6

Ø        Round table discussions: 2

Ø        3rd Party seminars/events: 8

Co-branded JHRS Career site with eCentral.jp’s ACCJ Job Site [Apr 2009];

Established The JHRS Academy in partnership with Temple University – Japan Campus [Aug 2009];

Conducted 1 major survey (ie, JHRS Academy Survey) and 6 polls as a way of feeling the pulse of our members [Jan-Dec 2009];

Created the JHRS Swine Flu Resource Center: Guidance for HR Professionals as our way of helping in the fight against this pandemic [Dec 2009]; and,

Garnered a total of more than 30,500 page views comprising 11,500 unique visitors for the JHRS group of websites (main, HR Agenda, and Career site).

Our “Misses”

×    Failed to conduct the Annual Japan HR Confidence Index---a measure of CEO’s confidence level on their HR function to help achieve organizational success [Reason: Prioritized the conduct of The JHRS Academy Survey.];

×    Did not launch the JHRS HR Awards–to recognize individual HR professionals, HR vendors/suppliers, and companies as best places to work as HR [Reason: Not enough corporate sponsors to fund this project.];

×    Officially registered JHRS members as of end of 2009 was only at 300 level mark instead of the 500 level target (60% accomplishment) [Reasons: members not actively recruiting for other members. We also have more strict rules for membership especially for 3rd party recruiters.]; and,

×    Postings to the JHRS Discussion Forum remains very “silent” in spite of the availability of a good technological platform.

What’s Next

Below are our goals, plans, and activities for 2010:

·           Host, co-sponsor, and/or attend the following events:

Ø        General Networking Event: 2 (Jan & Jul)

Ø        Luncheon seminars: 9

Ø        Round table discussions: 3

Ø        3rd Party seminars/events: 12

Ø        International HR Conferences: 4

·           For The JHRS Academy:

Ø        Further strengthen our relationship with TUJ by co-developing HR courses and workshops;

Ø        Develop other partnerships with other educational institutions or training providers to develop HR-related courses/ workshops that can be offered to JHRS members and the general public either through on-line learning or physical classes;

Ø        Formalize partnerships with other HR organizations (e.g., SHRM, HRCI, etc.) to expand our network and reach; and,

Ø        Establish the basic framework or standards for the JHRS HR Certification System.

·           For the JHRS Career Site, explore other alternatives of generating revenues from this site while at the same time serving the career needs of our members [Timeline: Feb 2010];

·           For the JHRS Advocacy Groups (i.e., Women in HR, Green HR, ResponsibleRecruiting, & HR Certification), each of the designated Chief Advocate shall be requested to submit a plan of action for 2010 detailing the goals and activities they want to implement for the year [Timeline: Jan 2010];

·           For The HR Agenda Newsletter:

Ø        Increase subscriber base to at least 2,500

Ø        Draft a test print of The HR Agenda Magazine: Japan’s Bilingual HR Magazine to be initially available to JHRS paying members and selected individuals and organizations

·           Gather at least 5,000 page views per month accumulated from all JHRS websites by introducing better contents and encouraging member engagement;

·           Conduct the Annual Japan HR Confidence Index Survey [Timeline: Mar 2010]

·           Establish the framework and guidelines for the JHRS HR Awards for 2011 [Timeline: Oct 2010].

·           Membership levels:

Ø        Associate or Free: > 300

Ø        Virtual or Premium: > 20% of Associate/Free members

·           Increase revenue sources to include:

Ø        Web advertising

Ø        Event sponsorships

Ø        Membership dues

Ø        Donations (individuals or corporate)

The Road Ahead

With the above goals and planned activities, 2010 will indeed be another busy year of growth and unlimited possibilities for JHRS. Ambitious as they are, I believe that they are achievable with our collective efforts, determination, and shared vision and mission as a Community and as a profession. By doing so, JHRS shall continue to advance the HR agenda in Japan and beyond.

Finally, I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all of you for the support and kind words of encouragement you have given me as your Chief Community Officer. The countless hours, efforts, and resources that myself and my company and JHRS Secretariat, HR Central K.K., has put into the Community are I think well worth it because of your continued patronage and support.

Have a great year to everyone and let’s make magic!

Sincerely yours in HR,

Jun Face Pic.jpg

Jun Kabigting, mba/msie
    Chief Community Officer, The Japan HR Society and Managing Director, HR Central K.K.

PS: My special thanks go to all of our guest speakers, white paper authors, round table facilitators, advertisers, and sponsors for your invaluable contribution in making 2009 a great year for JHRS. Looking forward to your continued support in 2010!

Download the PDF version of this Report here.
    Last modified: 04 Jan 2010 18:01 | Jun (Administrator)