The JHRS Earthquake Message Board: Reach out and show your support to your fellow HR Professionals in Japan

• 16 Mar 2011 01:36
    Reply # 546331 on 544272
    Stephen McEntee
    "Firstly, I would like to say that Japan and her people are in my thoughts and prayers, I am confident that the Japanese People will rise above the terrible events of the past days to rebuild its towns and infrastructure.

However rebuilding people’s confidence after such a tremendous loss of life from the disaster will be more difficult, HR professionals can assist by ensuring employees are reassured that employers will do all they can to help employees to find missing family (alive or otherwise) and by providing Counselling Services to help them rebuild their lives and homes. Where possible relocate employees to other more stable locations, maybe even provide temporary housing.

Employees will need to feel reconnected, even the strongest person will be suffering from grief of some sort and even if they have not suffered a personal loss, they will have Family or Friends that have.

May your God be with you in this difficult time

Regards

Stephen" -- Stephen McEntee [Linked:HR - ASIA & OCEANIA @ LinkedIn]
  • 16 Mar 2011 01:41
    Reply # 546333 on 544272
    Ranga Sourirajan
    "We are confident that the Japanese will overcome this natural disaster and march ahead with renewed vigor." -- Ranga Sourirajan [Japan Law Society (JLS) @ LinkedIn]
  • 16 Mar 2011 01:52
    Reply # 546339 on 544272
    William Nealy
    "Yes, thank you for posting the manual Shinsuke. Very helpful. I hope all the JHRS community is safe, and look forward seeing everyone at an event before too long. Warm regards, William Nealy" -- William Nealy [The Japan HR Society @ LinkedIn]
  • 16 Mar 2011 05:23
    Reply # 546490 on 544272
    Carmen Hudson
    Hello to my Japanese colleagues,
    I joined this group some years ago when I was researching HR practices in other countries.  I never thought I would participate in this forum, but I feel compelled to tell you that here in the U.S. we have great sympathy for your trials, and wish to help in any way possible.  Personally, I am confident that the people of Japan will survive, recover and thrive despite the magnitude of these events.

Following are links to some HR information that published following Hurricane Katrina in the U.S.  Perhaps it will be useful to you in the coming days and months:

I wish you the strength and courage needed to overcome short-term and long-term challenges ahead of you.
    Respectfully,
    Carmen Hudson
    Last modified: 16 Mar 2011 05:23 | Jun (Administrator)
  • 16 Mar 2011 11:30
    Reply # 546720 on 544272
    PohEng Toh (Singapore)

To the HR Community in Japan

In such trying times; I offer my prayers for you to stay strong and calm so that you can continue to take the lead to help those in need.

Best Wishes

PohEng (Singapore)

• 17 Mar 2011 07:58
    Reply # 547281 on 544272
    Jacque Vilet
    May God be with you all.   You are a strong, gentle, caring people.   I know you will be able to put this behind you.   We are thinking of you and wishing all of you the best.
  • 17 Mar 2011 10:23
    Reply # 547347 on 546490
    Jun (Administrator)
    Thanks Carmen for sharing these resources. Very useful.
  • 19 Mar 2011 09:39
    Reply # 548923 on 544272
    Logan M. Cheek
    ""When an American asks for the cooperation of his fellow citizens, it is seldom refused; and I have often seen it offered spontaneously, and with great good will." -- Alexis de Tocqueville, 1835 Like all of us, (unless you're on the moon) we've followed this closely. And most of us would welcome ideas and the opportunity to reach out and help. But as I sit here in the remote backwoods of upstate NY, what and how? Writing a check to the Red Cross, or donating a buck or two at the checkout line at the local supermarket is fine, but does anyone out there have any ideas in the way of something more practical, useful and involved that we on the other side of the world can do?" -- Logan M. Cheek [Cornell University Alumni Network @ LinkedIn]
  • 20 Mar 2011 17:32
    Reply # 549571 on 544272
    Jacque Vilet
    "I like Yoshi's comments very much. In fact I have copied and saved it just in case for the future. I have never been in a situation like that as an HR Manager and hope I never am, but Yoshi and his management's plan is very thorough and well thought out.

Well I was in an earthquake in California and it was a 7.1 and our office was 2 miles from the epicenter. The building was damaged and people stayed home while the necessary repairs were made. An example of how NOT to handle employee communication ---- our CEO sent an email to all employees which said only that the companies' facilities were OK and that the company had not lost any business because of the quake. Nothing about employees. Awful!

Certainly not the magnitude of what is happening in Japan. BUT I will keep Yoshi's plan in case my company is ever involved in a critical situation." -- Jacque Vilet [Global HR Connection @ LinkedIn]
  • 23 Mar 2011 07:46
    Reply # 551385 on 544272
    Rose Nolen

You all are in my prayers.  I reside in Houston, Texas now, but did lived abroad in Japan for a few years.  I have many Japanese friends here in Houston as well as in Japan.  I know Japan is a strong country and will rise again with greater strength. 

If I can be of any help to any of you regarding HR issues that you need researched, forms, policies or procedures, recruiting, or contingency plans, please don't hestitate to contact me.  I will do my best to try and find you resources, answers and volunteer my time to contribute for helping you all do your job in these difficult times. 

My family and I will continue to pray for you all. 

Blessings,

Rose Nolen

nolensan@att.net

713-802-0488